This Red Currant Sparkling Lemonade combines all things summer time delicious. My recipe below is a quick way to make a homemade lemonade and add red currant juice to kick the lemonade up a notch. Plus, adding the sparkling water is as if you are creating your own homemade soda.
First Step: Make the simple syrup
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of sugar
- tablespoon of lemon zest (optional)
- heavy pot
- measuring cup
Make the simple syrup by boiling the 2 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar in a heavy pot. When the the sugar water starts to boil, mix it until the sugar is dissolved. Add lemon zest to the sugar water (optional). Set the syrup aside to cool down.
Cooking Tip: Make sure your pitcher holds 10 cups of water. If your pitcher is smaller, you may want to reduce the quantities.
Second Step: Make the red currant juice
- 1 cup of red currants
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 bowls
- mesh strainer
Sprinkle a 1/2 cup of sugar over a cup of red currants and mix it around in a bowl. Then, set aside the red currants with sugar in the refrigerator for about an hour.
An hour later, start pressing a fork on to the red currants. Keep pressing until juice are pressed out of all the currants. Once there is no more to press, pour the red currant mixture onto a mesh strainer. You will need to move the red currants mixture around until there is no more red currant juice running through the mesh strainer.
Cooking Tip: A colander with big holes won't work. A cheesecloth is another helpful way to strain the syrup too. Otherwise, you might have to strain it a couple of times.
Final Step: combine the ingredients to make the red currant lemonade.
- fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
- sparkling water, soda water or water
- red currant juice
- simple syrup
- slices of lemons
- plenty of ice
- one cup of fresh red currants
- glass pitcher that holds 10 cups of water
- cutting board
Mix simple syrup, red currant juice and fresh squeezed lemon juice in the glass pitcher. Fill the rest of the glass pitcher with sparkling water.
Slice fresh slices of lemons on a cutting board. Clean the fresh red currants.
Add ice cubes, sliced lemons and one cup of red currants. This layered colorful look is gorgeous to look at. Stir the mixture.
Fun Drink ideas:
- add either fresh raspberries or strawberries into the lemonade too
- garnish the glass pitcher with a sliced lemon and a sprig of mint
Our channel has videos including
- how to make Danish Christmas rice pudding with cherry sauce dessert recipe (Risalamande med kirsebærsauce)
- how to make Swedish Glogg for Christmas & cold evenings! (glögg or mulled wine recipe)
- how to make aeblskiver (æbleskiver)
- how to make Danish Christmas Klejner
- how to make easy Danish cucumber salad (arguksalat)
- how to make Danish sugar browned potatoes (brunede kartofler)
- how to make Danish red cabbage (rødkaal)