We always had Knækbrød or crispbread in the kitchen cabinet. It is a hard bread that does not go bad or stale as quickly as standard bread. So if you run out of fresh bread, it is nice knowing that the crisp bread is in the kitchen cabinet. Knækbrød is a great alternative to have for either breakfast, lunch snack or dinner.
This crispbread recipe is a treat for me to make. It is very easy to make. I love tasting all sorts of seeds every time I take a bite. Plus, I can customize the crisp bread with all sorts of seeds if I want to.
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 9 oz ryeflour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
See our video to see how Karen Grete make Knækbrød
- Mix all the seeds, add rye flour mixed with salt and baking powder.
- Add water and oil and mix for 2-3 min.
- Finish mixing by hand on a floured surface and divide it into 2 portions.
- Roll it out between parchment paper.
- Place it on a buttered and floured baking sheet and cut it with a knife to aprox. 1.5″ x 3″ (4cm x 7.5cm).
- Bake it at 400F for approx. 15 min.
We suggest to butter the crisp bread. However there are all sorts of toppings to add such as preserves, honey, cheese and cold cuts.