What you will need to make Danish Fried Onions
- 2 to 3 large white onions. it really depends on the size of the onions
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter
- a sharp knife
- cutting board
- a frying pan
- a spatula
- You want the kind that are free of blemishes and that are heavy and firm.
Chill them first -- cold onions will be nicer on your eyes.
- Peel the onions and slice them thinly with a sharp knife.
- Make sure your pan gets hot before you start.
- Then, add butter or oil into the frying pan. Put in enough to spread all over the bottom of the pan. Traditionally we use butter or margarine when making these onion. However you can use oil too.
- Once the pan is hot enough, add the onions into the pan. Leave these on the frying pan for a few minutes until these are nice and brown. Fry the onions on low heat.
- Stir the onions in the pan so they don't stick. Also, you don't want half to be white and raw and the other half almost black or burn. So keep pushing the onions around. You might need to add more butter and oil.
- Total time should take around 5-7 minutes. These will become creamy, sweet, soft and golden. If you like the onions browner, keep stirring these in the pan. Eventually these will burn real fast if you keep these on the pan too long.
- When ready, set the onions aside until you are ready to serve your meat dish.
Pan fried onions provides the perfect savoury flavor for meat dishes such as steaks, frikadeller and hakkebøf. If you make enough Danish pan fried onions, it is great as a left over food for a Danish Smørrebrød the next day. Also, we love to add the delicious onions with sauté mushrooms, potatoes and on steaks. It really tastes great with so many dishes and ingredients. If you never had tried pan fried onions, give it a try!