I love both vegetables and pancakes. So this is the perfect Swedish dish for me especially in the winter. In my video I prepared a typical version with shredded potatoes. These Swedish pancakes are great when it is both thin and crispy around the edges. Also you are better off using the potatoes available in the winter and not the new summer potatoes. The winter potatoes have enough starch to keep the pancakes together.
For fun I like adding other vegetables sometimes too. So, in my video I made another version with shredded potatoes and shredded carrots. However, if desired other vegetables could be added such as diced onions and it would taste fabulous too.
- 2 large potatoes (raw & firm)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt and a little pepper
- approx. 1 tblsp milk
- 2 eggs
- oil or butter for frying
- Optional add shredded carrot or diced white onions
- Serve with lingonberry jam or bacon
- Peel, rinse and grate the raw potatoes into a bowl, Be sure to peel and grate when you are ready to prepare the pancakes, Otherwise if you prepare the potatoes too early the potatoes will discolor.
- Whisk together eggs and 1 tblsp. milk and add it to the potatoes.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, pepper.
- Add shredded carrot to the batter if desired.
- Heat a large frying pan. When oil/butter is hot, pour large spoonfuls of batter onto the pan and cook until golden on the bottom. Do not spread the batter too thickly on the pan. The idea is to make thin and crispy pancakes.
- Flip pancake over and cook until golden on the other side.
- Serve with lingonberry jam. This is typically served with fried salted pork. If you can not get fried salted pork, thick slices of bacon tastes great too.
*how to make Danish Christmas rice pudding with cherry sauce dessert recipe (Risalamande med kirsebærsauce)
Our Scandinavian recipes including Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish are on http://scandinavtoday.blogspot.com/
Follow us either on Twitter @scandinavtoday, Blogger, Google+, Google Pages, Pinterest and Subscribe to our YouTube Chanel Scandinavian Today! Let's get cooking Scandinavian foods!