This recipe is just to make ice cubes and should make about 2 cups of rhubarb syrup. If you need more liquid, you can add more water. If you like the syrup to be less sweet, use less sugar.
IngredientsFor the Rhubarb Syrup
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup of chopped ruby red rhubarb (about 5 stalks rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 cups water
- 1 cup of sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- cinnamon stick (optional)
- large sauce pot with lid
- mesh strainer (- a colander with big holes won’t work!)
- cutting board
- measuring cup
First Step: Make the Syrup
- Clean the ruby red rhubarb under cold running water, cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Keep slicing until you get 1 cups of sliced rhubarb.
- To make the rhubarb syrup, combine chopped rhubarb, water, and sugar in a heavy-bottomed pot.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until rhubarb has broken into shreds. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes. Keep an eye on the syrup. If it gets too hot, turn the temp down a little more.
- Let rhubarb cool for a few minutes before straining.
- Then, strain the syrup using a mesh colander. A colander with big holes won't work because alot of the rhubarb pieces might fall into the syrup. A cheesecloth is another helpful way to strain the syrup too. Otherwise, you might have to strain it a couple of times. I don’t mind the yummy rhubarb that might go through into the syrup but to get a clear syrup that is what you might want to do.
- Move the solids with a spoon around to extract more syrup. Just don't press the rhubarb mush because it might get into the syrup.
- Allow to cool so more. Set the syrup aside in the refrigerator
Other fun ideas
- Drizzle rhubarb syrup over plain or vanilla yogurt or vanilla ice cream.
- Rhubarb Syrup is great for ice tea.
- Top Icelandic yogurt with the rhubarb mush.
- The rhubarb mush or solids make a nice quick jam. It's great on toast!
- how to make Danish Christmas rice pudding with cherry sauce dessert recipe (Risalamande med kirsebærsauce)
- how to make Swedish Glogg for Christmas & cold evenings! (glögg or mulled wine recipe)
- how to make aeblskiver (æbleskiver)
- how to make Danish Christmas Klejner
- how to make easy Danish cucumber salad (arguksalat)
- how to make Danish sugar browned potatoes (brunede kartofler)
- how to make Danish red cabbage (rødkaal)