Strawberry rhubarb almond white chocolate chip bars are easy to make and deeeelicioussss! A perfect treat to make during the summer season. Let's go over the ingredients to get started.
- 2 cups sliced strawberries and
- 2 cups of rhubarb
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 cup of white chocolate chips
- 1/2 a cup of sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup of oatmeal
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almond
- 1 ½ cup of grated almond paste
- 1 (cup) stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened on a plate
- sliced almonds
- large mixing bowl
- parchment paper
- baking dish
- electric mixer
- measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- wooden spoon
- heavy bottomed saucepan
- pastry blender
First thing you want to do is get your oven preheated to 350°F. Then, line your parchment paper to come up the sides of a 9 inch baking dish. That way you can easily lift out the bars perfectly every single time. Also you might want to spray just to ensure that nothing sticks to the baking dish.
Preparing the Toppings:
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and sliced almonds. Set this aside until we are ready to sprinkle as a topping.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan add strawberries, rhubarb and a little bit of water. Add sugar and vanilla. Cook over medium heat and stir occasionally.
- In a bowl, whisk cornstarch with orange juice until dissolved.
- Now, stir the orange juice mixture into the saucepan. Boil until thickened and translucent. Remove saucepan from heat and onto wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, while fruit spread is cooling we are ready to make the dry mixture.
- In a large bowl, mix quickly the oatmeal, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, brown sugar and a dash of salt.
- Then in the same bowl, mix the dry mixture and crumbled almond paste with fork until small clumps form.
- Next add the butter into the bowl. Use a pastry blender to cut into the butter. Mix with fingers or a pastry blender or a food processor until the texture of small crumbs. Set aside.
- Then stir 1/4 cup of almonds into the large bowl and mix completely.
- Now we are ready to combine both the dry and the fruit topping. First set aside at least a ½ a cup the dry crumb mixture to be used later.
- Add a layer of dry mixture on the bottom of the baking dish. Press the dry mixture onto the baking dish using a bottom of a measuring cup. This will help firm up the dry mixture.
- Then sprinkle a little bit of white chocolate chips across the dry mixture.
- Now we are ready to spread fruit mixture across the dry mixture.
- Add another layer of white chocolate chips across the fruit mixture.
- Spread on top with reserved crumb mixture with a spoon so you can see the strawberry mixture peeking through.
- Finally sprinkle remaining white chocolate chips and the cinnamon almond slice mixture on top.
- Bake these for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and preserves are bubbly. Let these cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
- Refrigerate any leftovers but you might not have any.